Oh how my heart aches! Although I have known this day would one day come, nothing really prepares you for when it actually does. Last night, March 8, 2008, at 11:05 p.m., my Dad took his final breathe and slipped on into the next life. This has led to a day and night filled with pondering. I wanted to share some of my memories and thoughts of my Dad.I remember how he would tell the story of Chris and I stealing flowers from the Commanding Officer's home when we lived in Fort Irwin, California; or how he would relay the story of when we "ran away" from home because the other kids were not minding Mom. I remember how when he would talk about growing up, he would pronounce Washington .....Warshington. He loved his parents, and especially kept the memories of his mother fresh in our minds. He would relay the tender moments spent learning from them during those many years long ago growing up in Orting, Washington.
My Dad was never one to tell you that he loved you, but he would give you the shirt off of his back and a pocket full of money. He bought you things to tell you he cared. He was never beyond showing his love for his children's spouses or his grandchildren. He cherished everyone of his grandchildren.
Although my Dad was not perfect, he was my Dad and I love him very much. When I got the news that he likely would not make it through the night, immediately Sharman and I packed and packed the kids up to his parents' place. While traveling to Utah my family would frequently call me and ask for a status report. I would tell them where I was and tell them to tell him to hang on that I was coming as quickly as I could. At one point, about 15 minutes North of Ogden I remember telling my Mom that she could tell him if he needed to go he could but if he could hang on I was trying to hurry. Finally, when we arrived at Utah Valley Regional Medical Center, my Mom called again and said, you have to hurry, his vitals are dropping. I walked into his room and there standing around him was Laurie, Tammie (Cory, her husband), Amy, Mom, Chris (Sherry, his girlfriend), and a nurse. Sharman and I walked in and I leaned over and took his hand. I told him I was here and thanked him for waiting. I told him to tell Ben that we love him and that it was okay to go now. Within ten minutes, my Father took his last breathe and slipped into the afterlife to be reunited with my brother Ben and his parents.
As I sit here typing this I feel pretty surreal. I know Dad was ready to go, but it happened so quickly. I still look around at his things and expect to see him and hear him any moment. Dad I love you and and am so glad your passing was painless and quick. I miss you and my children miss you and we can all hardly wait to be together with you again. You are the light of my children's lives and will be forever.
God be with you until we meet again. I love you Daddy.



8 comments:
Oh, Stacey, I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.
Stacey, we're so sorry about your loss. We'll keep you in our thoughts and prayers too. With Love, Todd and Staci
Stacey,
I'm so sorry that you and your family are feeling such heart ache right now. I hope that every day you will be able to feel peace growing in your heart.
I'm happy to say that Kendon and I knew your dad and thought very highly of him. We have lost a friend. He was always nothing but kind to Kendon and me. Kendon is especially sad, he really feels like your dad always treated him like family. We are sorry that we were not able to be at the funeral to support you and your family.
Please know that we love you and are thinking of you.
Love,
Lisa-Marie
That is a beautiful tribute and touching memories. I was not fortunate enough to know your dad. He had to have been great because he raised a daughter as awesome as you. Your'e in my thoughts and prayers. My heart is still aching for you and your family. Let me know what I can do!!!
I just stumbled across this by accident...but how it has touched me. It was as though you were writing about how I felt about my own father...the only difference was that I didn't get a chance to say good-bye. I miss him as much eleven years later as I did the day I lost him...but it gets easier, day by day. You'll see. My sympathy and prayers to you and your family.
Stacey I am sorry to hear of your loss. Your dad sounds like an amazing man and I am glad you got to say goodbye to him before he passed on. You are in our thoughts and prayers.
Stacey, I am so sorry to hear about your dad, but so excited to have found your blog. It has sure been a long time! You have a beautiful family and I sure do miss you!
Annie
Stacey,
I am glad I found this. We saw his obituary last month and were saddened by his loss. The kids really have missed him. He was the best papa. I hope you are overcoming some of the grief and that all of your family is doing well.
Love, Becki, Ky & Dal
Post a Comment