Our Life Together

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Growing....Growing......GROWING!!!

Zack starts fifth grade this fall. I am really okay with that. What I had no idea I wouldn't be prepared for was to see my sweet little boy begin football camp. I watched as my very tall (his head is up to my shoulders) son walked onto the football field and was towered over by kids who are in junior high and high school. I felt the lump in my throat rising.

He walked over to the field, sat down and proceeded to try and put his kleets on. I say he proceeded to try because these are his soccer kleets from this past Fall. We bought them and they fit fine. They are a size 3. He came almost crying back to the car. "Mom, these shoes don't fit me," he began to tear up. "What do you mean they don't fit....we JUST bought them!," I said completely shocked. I even (to my chagrin) made him give me his kleets and his shoes to compare sizes. I was completely dumbfounded to discover he was trying to shove his now size 5 feet into those practically new size 3 kleets. Dad to the rescue! New kleets and a football camp practice was well underway.

When he came home my "little" boy came strolling into my room as proud as a peacock wearing his new football pads, new kleets, and a football helmet! Now it was my turn to begin sobbing. I was so shocked to see my little boy literally transformed into a young man right before my very eyes. I am still trying to deal with the fact that my boy is now a football player AND a wrestler. This is definately going to take some getting use to.

2 comments:

Becki said...

They grow up way to fast; don't they?! Ky is just 2 inches shorter than me now and I hate it. Football can be a little scary, but how fun for him! I can only imagine how proud dad is too! I miss you guys a bunch.
Happy belated b-day Zack!

Melissa Durtschi said...

R U sure that he is up to your shoulder!?! How is that possible? I'm still shaking my head. What can u do?