Each day for the past week Zack has been anxiously waiting for his birthday to come. Each day he is disappointed he still has a few more days to wait. Well, ten years ago today at this time I was in a hospital room at Madison Memorial Hospital finding out first hand that those television shows which depict you having a baby shortly after going to the hospital LIED!!!
I had gone to the doctor at 10 a.m. and he broke my water. Well I figured by about 4:30 or 5:00 p.m. this elusive little one would be here. Not only was this baby not here, it was taking its own sweet time. Zack didn't actually arrive until shortly after midnight on the 22nd of July. Man was labor long. Finally around 11:30 p.m. I could not do it anymore. I was so tired and had no energy left and this baby was NOT moving.
Shortly after midnight, our sweet little baby boy came into the world. He really took us by surprise. He was due on July 24th (Pioneer Day). He was also suppose to be a little girl. We had picked the name Kelsie Michele for him. Obviously he didn't look like a Kelsie Michele when he was born. My parents had time enough to drive home, pack, drive to Idaho and wait for about three or four hours before he finally arrived. Also, because of the length and difficulty of the labor he arrived via Cesarean section. Five days later I would end up taking this bundle of blue joy home for the first time. Mom was amazing and stayed with us for a week and then took Zack and I home with her for a month. What would we have done without you? I am so glad we never have to find out.
One tradition my parents started when we were little was that on our birthday they would tell us the story of the day we were born. My kids love this tradition and so they ask every year to tell "their story." Well, Zack, there was so much that was a surprise about you that the entire story is full of twists and turns.
When you were born we didn't have any boy names we really liked. When Dad came to the hospital the next morning he said that he wanted your middle name to be McCoy so everyone would know you are the real McCoy. I loved it. Coming up with a first name was a bit trickier. We go to the Z's before we could agree. Dad liked Zachariah. I said no way but I could do Zachary. When we put Zachary together with McCoy I knew we had a winner.
Weighing in at 8'5" and 14 1/2" long at 12:03 a.m. arrived our first child. What an exciting, overwhelming, terrifying, exhilarating experience!
Now here we are 10 years later and it feels like yesterday that I was able to hold you for the first time. Where did that time go? I swear the only thing I can remember was blinking. It is true that you are growing all to quickly and I know that once I blink again you will be going on a mission and I will cry and miss you terribly. But until that blink occurs, I am so happy to have you in my life. You are my first and I love you with all of my heart. Happy almost birthday sweet bunny.




3 comments:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ZACH!!!!!I love this post and those pictures..that's awesome. Any ideas on how to slow time down?
this is an amazing post. zach should feel so lucky! after hearing stories of people laboring for hours and hours and hours and then having to have a c-section, i am thankful we just knew from the start that's what we had to do!
we will be at lisa's this weekend so i'll be sure to see you then!
I love that your kids always ask about the day they were born. I'm going to sit down today and write down about Connor's BIRTHday. It was a fairly routine kind of thing EXCEPT it will always be extraordinary to me. How could it not be?!?!?
Post a Comment