Our Life Together

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Lost!

I do not do well with stressful situations. I am fine for a while and then all sense of coherency leaves and I become a total idiot. Just as a case in point, when my Dad was in the hospital the day before he passed away, they told me to sign in. That is just great.....why did they have to ask me to do something hard.....LIKE SIGN MY NAME!!! Then they told me to use the elevator and go up one flight to the second floor......fantastic.......HOW DO YOU OPERATE AN ELEVATOR?!!!
Yesterday was a horrible lunch hour for me. I was headed to Sugar City to register the kids for school when I got a phone call from the hubby asking if I had heard from Zack. Well why on earth would Zack call me? Of course I hadn't heard from him. He was attending a soccer clinic from 8 a.m. to noon. Sharman had gone to pick him up and he wasn't there. I told him to look around and wait for a bit as he might have gone to get a drink or use the restroom.

Sharman went home to check to see if he might have either ridden his bike home or caught a ride with someone. Nope, no Zack. He then stopped to ask Aunt Lisa if she had seen him and then stopped by the Byrds to see if he had gone there. Again no Zack.

I got to Sugar City and Sharman still couldn't find Zack. I registered Sydney for school (not very coherently) thanks to much help from my good friend Melissa (you are a life saver!!). By now Zack had been missing for almost an hour. We had called friends, neighbors and anyone else we could think of. The soccer clinic coach had also stayed and was assisting us in looking. I was now beyond frustrated and felt we needed to get additional help. We called the police and reported him missing.

Like all stressful situations, I couldn't remember how tall Zack was or how much he weighed. Now they are asking me what he was wearing. Since I left before he did, I have NO idea what he was wearing. The only identifying feature I can think of are three little red marks in the center of his forehead where he recently had warts frozen off. I am a HORRIBLE parent! The police tell me to stay at the school and they will send someone out.

Meanwhile, on a fluke, Sharman calls Zack's regular soccer coach. Yep, that is exactly where he is. I break down crying. Sharman tells me to call 911 back and tell them he has been located. Ok, no problem. What is the phone number for 911? I cannot cognitively think through the numbers. I can see them and cannot for the life of me figure out what numbers to dial and in what order. After several deep breaths and a knowledge of Zack's safety I realize I can hit redial and don't have to really think this hard.
Zack is safe and sound and I found my mine again. One thing is for sure......I hate it when I cannot find my kiddos! It insights utter panic in me.

5 comments:

The Burrups said...

oh wow stace i do not blame you that would be terrifying! im soo glad everything worked out ok.

Becki said...

I know exactly that feeling. And BTW, Dallin disappeared from us one day and we had to call the cops too. Only to find him riding his bike home from a friends house that we did not even know!!!

Rachel said...

WOW. That stressed ME out!!!!! Glad you found him!

Katie said...

HOLY COW!! So glad that you found him!

Heather said...

oh how scary!! I am glad you found him!!